Manufacturer: Perkin Elmer
Model: Polarimeter 341
Polarimetry is an important technique for the investigation and analysis of optically active substances. Model 341 is a universal and general-purpose precision Polarimeter with Na and Hg source lamps and Glan-Taylor polarizer. Model 341 is a highly versatile instrument for research applications as well as for quality control work. The instrument can be extended into the UV range and is ready for polarimetric HPLC detection. The proven optical null principle, with automatic rotation of the analyzer, is the basis of PerkinElmer’s reputation for excellence in polarimetry. This principle, combined with state-of-the-art microprocessor electronics, results in an instrument which combines the highest possible accuracy and precision with simple operation. For routine measurements simply select the wavelength, insert the sample and read the result.
Common applications include:
- Characterization of newly synthesized compounds
- Quality control of pharmaceutical drugs
- Precise quantitative analysis of sugars
- Selective detection of optically active components by HPLC
- Monitoring and control of enzymatic reactions
- UV-transmitting Glan/Taylor polarizer
- Pure light from Hg and Na spectral lamps
- Several interface ports
- Simple user interaction
- Enhanced sensitivity at low wavelengths
- Highly accurate readings
- Flexible use as a standalone system with printer, PC system or HPLC detector
- Easy operation, quick to learn
- Simple operation, database results and method management and customized reporting
- Fully meets FDA requirements for regulated industries
- Model 341: Na 589 nm, Hg 578 nm, Hg 546 nm, Hg 436 nm and Hg 365 nm; four spare positions for additional optional filters.
- Principle: Automatic precision Polarimeter with optical null principle by rotation of the analyzer; automatic gain control.
- Radiation: Hg high-pressure lamp and Na spectral lamp.
- Spectral lines: Selectable from instrument keypad.
- Apertures: Selectable apertures for standard cells and microcells.
- Detector: Photomultiplier 1P28A.
- Polarizer and analyzer: UV/Vis-transmitting calcite Glan-Taylor prisms.
- Rotatory range: ± 85°.
- Balancing speed: 1.3°/s at 50 Hz.
- Accuracy: ± 0.002° for rotations =1º; ± 0.2% for rotations >1°.
- Reproducibility: Better than 0.002° (for zero and rotational reading).
- Internal angular resolution: 1 x 10-4 º Integration times: 0.1s, 0.2s, 0.5s, 1s, 2s, 5s, 10s, 20s, 50s and 100s.
- Autozero setting: Electronically from instrument keypad at any desired position in the rotatory range.
- User interaction: Either menu-driven from integrated touch-keys (English, German, French, Spanish and Italian), or PC-controlled from POL WinLab or POL WinLab ES software.
- Display: Stand-alone operation: vacuum fluorescence display, two lines with 20 characters each. PC-operation.
- Format of results: Selectable from instrument keypad – angular rotation, specific rotation, molar rotation, international sugar scale, user-defined scale with factor and offset.
- Printer output: Standard parallel printer port (Centronics port) supporting HP-PCL, Epson esc-p and generic ASCII format.
- Communications: RS-232C serial interface, selectable communication parameters.
- Data input: Input port for lntermec 9720 barcode reader and/or standard PC/AT keyboard.
- Analogue output: Digital-to-analogue conversion of angular rotation for connecting integrators or chart recorders; recording ranges ± 50°, ± 5°, ± 0.5°, ± 0.05°; resolution 0.1% of range width; cyclic repeatability in all ranges; output voltage 0 to 10 mV, 100 mV, and 1 V. External “Ready”: Relay contact closure (normally open), signal floating; maximum load 110 V, 0.3 A AC or 30 V, 1A DC; activated by print signal, selectable delay and duration.
- External autozero: External activation of autozero function; TTL signal, low active; or contact closure; duration 100 ms minimum.
- Temperature sensor: PT-100 temperature sensor for sample cells (optional accessory); temperature range -23° C to +198° C.
- Power requirements: 220-240V, 50Hz
- Dimensions (WxHxD): 825 x 310 x 390 mm
- Perkin Elmer Polarimeter 341
The Polarimeter is in excellent cosmetic as well as technical and operating condition. It is 100% functional tested, functions as intended and ready to be operated.